Please join ONE DC on Thursday, October 3 at 6:00 PM for our next Black Workers & Wellness Center Space Planning Meeting. We will be updating our members and supporters on the progress of the renovations and the capital fundraising campaign. Click here to RSVP
Since purchasing the building in December 2017, we have:
- Held a series of Space Planning meetings to gain input from ONE DC members and partners about the design and future use of the space that includes accessible entrances and an elevator, new HVAC, and a cooperative incubation space
- Partnered with Emotive Architecture, a local Black-owned architecture firm based in Washington, D.C. to develop a design and architectural plans for the renovation the building.
- Submitted construction permits
- Partnered with Capital Construction Group (CCG), a local Black-owned general contracting firm to carry out the renovations
- Raised $850,000 for our capital campaign!
The ONE DC Black Workers & Wellness Center is a member-led community & wellness space in Anacostia that builds racial & economic justice through popular education, promotion of sustainable employment, & the incubation of economic alternatives.
In December 2017, after over a year and a half of grassroots fundraising, ONE DC successfully purchased the former United Black Fund, Inc. building at 2500 MLK Jr Ave SE for $1.2 million. With the building purchased, we entered a new phase of capital campaign fundraising starting in 2018 for renovations, and to sustain the operations and organizing at the building.
But we still have more to raise! Help us make our vision a reality by making a donation today or by contacting our Resource Organizer Dominic Moulden at firstname.lastname@example.org.