ONE DC and Juneteenth on Georgia are excited to announce our Juneteenth in DC 2018 events celebrating Black liberation and justice! Juneteenth is an annual celebration to commemorate the emancipation of enslaved Black people in Texas on June 19, 1865. This is a time for us to reflect on our collective history of fighting for emancipation and equity, to celebrate and be joyful about our triumphs, and to recommit with passion and discipline to the current struggle for liberation.
- Saturday, June 16th - Juneteenth Jubilee Festivals featuring live music, speakers, local artists & vendors, live art, & more!
- Sunday, June 17th - Faith & Liberation with faith-based institutions commemorating Juneteenth through sermons, evenings of prayer & community conversations throughout the week
- Monday, June 18th - Buy Black Day highlighting local Black-owned businesses to shop at & Black-led organizations to support
- Monday, June 18th - Black Workers & Wellness Center Open House - learn more about the programs & projects at the BWC to build racial & economic justice through popular education, promotion of sustainable employment, & the incubation of economic alternatives.
- Tuesday, June 19th - Juneteenth Community Learning event featuring history of Juneteenth talk with historian C.R. Gibbs & conversations on community safety, reparations, and current state of the fight for liberation in DC. Co-sponsored with Stop Police Terror Project-DC, SURJ-DC, & DC Foodways.
Visit juneteenthdc.org for more info on events and to RSVP!
If you have a Juneteenth event you would like us to highlight, email firstname.lastname@example.org
We are currently looking for sponsors! By becoming a sponsor, you not only guarantee the success of Juneteenth in DC 2018 and future Juneteenth events, but you bring the ONE DC Black Workers & Wellness Center closer to our goal of transforming our newly purchased building into a state-of-the-art member-led community & wellness space. Click here to donate as a sponsor or send a check to ONE DC, PO Box 26049, Washington, DC 20001. Sponsorship gratitude packages include commemorative Juneteenth posters and t-shirts, books authored by ONE DC members & supporters, and special perks at our Juneteenth events.
Vendors & Partners
We invite community partners, grassroots organizations, local businesses, artists & craftspeople, food vendors, and others to join us on Saturday, June 16th for our all-day Juneteenth Jubilee Festivals taking place in Anacostia and Bruce Monroe Park (outdoor locations). Vendors will be able to table, do outreach to hundreds of local community members, and sell items.
We are looking for volunteers to help with fundraising, outreach, communications, vendor/partner coordination, and general logistics and planning. We will also need volunteers the day of the events. Click here to sign up to volunteer.