We accept applications on a rolling basis. Due to COVID-19, interns can expect to work remotely.
ONE DC is seeking a creative and dynamic individual with a genuine interest in learning about and getting on-the-ground experience with community organizing. Interns can expect to:
1. Support organizing strategy for the People's Platform, Right to Housing and/or Black Workers Center campaigns while collaborating with DC residents and workers, ONE DC staff, and ONE DC members
2. Recruit and develop relationships with ONE DC members by conducting outreach via phone banking, one-on-one visits, and neighborhood door-knocking.
3. Assist in the planning and implementation of ONE DC organizational events.
4. Support leadership development of ONE DC members, DC residents and workers.
5. Perform organizing campaign related administrative tasks, such as updating the Nation Builder database, ONE DC website, or social media as needed.
6. Research topics and legislation related to housing or work-related issues.
7. Attend staff meetings and planning sessions
1. Good written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
2. Demonstrated interest in direct action, organizing, and base building with low-income, long-time DC residents of color
3. Strong computer and internet skills
4. Ability to build unity and motivate others to action
6. Ability to be an effective team member
7. Commitment of approximately 7-15 hours/week during the school year and 15-40 hours during the summer depending on your schedule and institutional requirements.
1. Some knowledge of Washington, DC issues and organizations
2. Knowledge of racial and economic equity issues and policies
3. Strong research skills
4. Eye for detail
5. Flexible hours, including willingness to work for evening and some weekends
6. Desire to deepen a political analysis and learn about the history of social movements
7. A reflexive professional practice and active commitment to self-critique
8. Willingness to engage in honest, constructive, mindful, and compassionate reciprocal critique of work with teams and other staff
9. Please let us know if you are able to interpret/translate Spanish, Amharic, ASL, or any other languages
10. Women, people of color, native Washingtonians, and LGBTQ people strongly encouraged to apply.
Unfortunately, ONE DC is unable to provide stipends at this time.
Intern Recommended Reading
- Services Are Bad for People
- Combahee River Collective Statement
- Ella Baker: Strong People Don't Need Strong Leaders from I've Got the Light of Freedom
- Five Faces of Oppression
- Mask Off: The Monopoly on Violence and Re-In vigorating an Anti-Imperialist Vision for Black Liberation
- Pedagogy of the Oppressed