1-Bedroom Units Available in the Maya Angelou Cooperative – Submit Your Application Now!
Newly Renovated and Excellent Location
Buy into the Maya Angelou Cooperative and own an affordable coop unit in a vibrant community of long-time residents who purchased their 9-unit building in July 2014 and are committed to affordable homeownership in their Marshall Heights neighborhood (Ward 7). The coop will undergo renovations during February – April 2015 including: new roof, all new windows, new individual furnaces and air conditioners, new flooring, appliances, and lighting. The Coop will begin selecting new members as early as March 2015, so submit your application as soon as possible.
Unit and Building Features:
- Individually controlled central heating and air conditioning
- Large windows/light-filled rooms
- Cable and telephone ready
- New laundry room
1 bedroom Features:
- Price = $750 per month plus gas and electric (plus one-time $2,000 buy-in price)
- Size = 585 square feet, including linen closet and walk-in bedroom closet
Benefits of Cooperative Membership:
- Residents make decisions about the building and its management (no landlord)
- Long term affordability – non-profit coop is resident owned, keeps operating costs low, and re-invests in the building so it remains quality affordable housing for many years to come.
- The coop share is inheritable (may be passed on to family) and increases in value
To join, your household income must not exceed 80% of the Area Median Income (for a one-person
household, the maximum is $59,920; for a two-person household, the maximum is $68,480)
- Approximately 1⁄2 mile walk to Benning Road Metro Stop and nearby retail amenities
- U5 and U6 bus lines stop at property and provide service to Benning Rd Metro Station
- Approximately 1⁄4 mile walk to Capitol View Neighborhood Library
- Plenty of street parking and easy access to DC-295 and I-95
To Obtain an Application, Please Contact:
Ask for Ms. Michele Washington