ONE DC Freedom School 2015 - Resisting State Violence - Saturday, July 18 - 12-4PM
What is state violence? How does it affect our lives? How is state violence manifested in our search for living wage, dignified work? What does resistance to state violence look like? Freedom School to include discussion, group breakouts and exercises, video, art, music, and fellowship with other ONE DC members.
**Exercise descriptions to be added soon!
Food & fellowship
Welcome to the space
ONE DC values
Theme and agenda for the day
12:40-1:05 - Why do we do community learning
1:05 – 1:30 - What is state violence?
1:30 – 1:45 – What does economics have to do with us?
1:45 – 2:15 – Wage exploitation exercise
2:15 – 2:25 - Break
2:25 – 3:10 – Lissette & Claire
What does resistance to state violence look like? And why resist?
Ask the group which people/movements inspire them and why
Bree Newsome Confederate Flag take-down:
New Era Windows Cooperative:
Intro to the Zapatistas:
3:10 – 3:20 – What is our movement?
Share People's Platform history, read the People's Platform manifesto together
3:55-4:00 - Plus/deltas
ONE DC Freedom School 2014 - Solidarity Economy
Below are links to the videos we watched.
- People's Platform video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXaOGcp8C8o
- Ed Whitfield on why the "teach a man to fish" parable is a lie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPcIumnhB8I
- Eviction Free Zone: Occupy Homes Minneapolis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTKUVJyxkqo
- Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative, Boston: Holding Ground Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uPzl_RZpqA
- Own the Change Trailer, a film about worker cooperatives: http://tinyurl.com/nrbxcls
- "We Want a Coop", neighbors from Greensboro NC talk about their food coop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM1YX_BEEZ4
- Clips from the Take, a film about worker controlled factories in Argentina: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ3NYTzqJTE&feature=youtu.be
- Comparing Neoliberalism & Solidarity Economy Slideshow Presentation